For class on Wednesday, please watch this TED talk by Rob Knight and worked through the questions below. There may be a quiz.
- Consider the image of “microbes” found in the gut shown at 1:15. What kind of microscope was used to produce this image? Why does it have color?
- How are microbes in the human microbiome identified and characterized?
- According to Rob Knight, how many “human” cells make up a typical person’s body? How many “other” cells are there?
- What happens to a number of children who are given antibiotics within 6 months of birth?
- What connection (even if only speculative) can you draw between this talk and probiotic products you may have seen or heard about in recent years?