In today’s class session, we’ll do a hands-on activity that aims to get you more familiarized with the properties of water.
With the water molecule kits, figure out the following with your peers at your table:
- What does the magnetic attraction between these plastic renditions of water molecules represent? Why are the water molecules only attracted to each other in certain ways, in certain orientations?
- How would you depict (a) ice, (b) liquid water and (c) steam with this model kit?
- Is the molecule with the gray sphere polar or non-polar? Hydrophilic or hydrophobic?
- What do the green and blue spheres represent?
- How does this kit show us the relative strengths of covalent, ionic and hydrogen bonds?