We’re on track to finishing our discussion of chemistry topics soon. Here are the terms you should be familiar with for this part of the course.
Outer Shell Electrons
Ionic Bond, Ionic Compound
Covalent Bond, Molecule
Polar Covalent Bond, Polar Molecule
Van der waals Forces
Properties of water, e.g. Heat capacity, solvent
Optional: functional groups
Try to answer these questions after you’ve finished the textbook reading:
- Which electrons usually determine the chemical properties of an atom?
- Of the bonds and intermolecular interactions discussed, which is the strongest? Which is the weakest?
- What’s happening at a molecular level when water boils?
- What’s the difference between adhesion and cohesion?
- Does a buffer work indefinitely? Does it work for any pH?